When the Sync with a Source option is selected for Soil Type or Slope layers, Adapt-N's internal Soil Survey database is used to configure the field. Specifically, each grid cell in the field will be automatically set with the appropriate values:
- Soil Texture will be specified based on Adapt-N soil regions and databases
- Drainage classification will be set
- Adapt-N's default rooting depth will be set
- The slope % will be set
In cases when the Soil Survey database lacks sufficient information for a part of a field, only then will the user-provided Default Values be used.
In all cases, the system will inform the user the percent of the field which was set automatically vs. by user-provided defaults.
Users always have the option to upload a Shapefile to set these values, instead of using Adapt-N's databases. Soil data will need to include the following columns:
- AREASYMBOL: represents the FIPS code required by the Soil Type Import (FIPS is a 2-digit state and 3-digit county code).
- MUSYM: represents the MapUnit Symbol required by the Soil Type Import. This corresponds to the SSURGO soil database provided by NRCS.